The Leuty Lifeguard Station

Leuty.jpg

The Leuty Lifeguard Station, the often-photographed Beaches landmark, celebrated its centennial year in 2020. The station was constructed back in 1920. Such an anniversary gives us the chance to view the Beaches as they looked more than a century into the past. The station itself was built by the architectural firm of Chapman, Oxley, and Bishop, whose career in Toronto spanned several decades between the 1920s and 1940s. Some other buildings they are known for are the Sunnyside Bathing Pavilion, the Palais Royale dance hall, and a wing of the Royal Ontario Museum. The Station was one of three built by the firm in partnership with the Toronto Harbour Commission. Two other, similar stations were located on the shores of the Humber River and the Western Channel, and were later demolished. Later on, an almost identical station to the Leuty Lifeguard Station popped up on Cherry Beach. The Leuty Lifeguard Station is still the headquarters for many of Toronto’s lifeguards and the staff have been credited with saving over 6,000 lives during the Station’s 100-year history. It stands out as a reminder of an earlier time.